Monday, June 24, 2013

Ladybugs: Our Best Defense for Aphids!

I found this little lady on a blade of grass while I was checking my native bee block yesterday and jumped for joy to see that the defenders of my garden flowers are out in force!  Seeing this ladybug reminded me that it is aphid season and sure enough, I found an abundance of aphids on the tender buds of my old-fashioned roses, 'Victorian Memory', 'William Baffin', 'Golden Wings' and 'Gertrude Jekyll'.  Happily, I found a ladybug or a ladybug larva on every rose too. It is so satisfying to know that all I really have to do is wait patiently for the predator to come to the prey in my organic garden.  So, excuse me now while I go outside and take a deep "nose-full" of some softly fragrant roses and sip some refreshing lemonade while the ladybugs work on my aphid infestation for me!

Here is a link to brand names of insecticides from the neonicotinoid class that you REALLY want to avoid:      
Help The Honey Bees

Neonicotinoids in Oregon  Here is good reason to tell your local tree or lawn care company about these insecticides.


Rosa 'Victorian Memory'

No comments:

Post a Comment